Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Friends and Coconuts

Friends and coconuts are pretty much the two best things ever.

Dinner/Game night at Boulais's. We played an intense game of Bible Pictionary. Keysha the game master, Jesse (Keysha's dad), Eva, Charde, Kevin, Bryan

Keysha prepping Laura for her turn.

Sam, Keysha, Laura

Sam and Kevin

Me and my little sister/favorite neighbor Laura

The whole gang

First scorpion sighting at the apartment! Before....

....and after.

Preaching in Nicoya. I got a couple of return visits, both with Ticos. They usually understand more English than they speak and are very nice. I left Truth tracts with both of them and agreed to return next week.

Finding shade wherever possible... it's starting to get into the hot season.

Laura and I at Charde's study. We'll be taking over after she leaves, so all three of us went.

Jacqueline and Charde. Charde and Eva found her in the canvassing work a few weeks ago. When we returned to Nicoya the following week, Charde happened to remember that she'd met a girl on a street we were passing and decided to stop and see if she was there. She called repeatedly at the gate but no one answered, so we walked back to the main road and stood in the shade across the street waiting for Lura to come back to pick us up. As we were waiting, a girl on a bike came out to the street and waved to us, and came over. She turned out to be Jacqueline, who was on her way to the store, but when Charde offered to return later she said we could go back to her house right then, so we did and she pulled out three chairs and set them under the trees. We had a nice conversation about Jehovah's name and prayer, and at the end she asked for our email addresses and asked that we both return. That night, we found that she had emailed us both saying "Thank you for coming to visit me and teaching me about the Bible and its languages... hope to see you again soon." Since then she's studied twice with Charde and the last time when we studied at her family's pizzeria, she baked us a fresh pizza to eat after the study. I promised Charde to keep her posted on Jacqueline's progress since she leaves this Friday, and Laura and I look forward to returning and continuing in the Bible Teach book. I told Jacqueline that Charde wants to return to Costa Rica to visit, and that if she keeps studying with us that we'll be able to bring her back to see her when she comes.

Pipas frias! We were completely stuffed that day after lunch, pizza, and coconuts.

I asked the guy to split mine open and he gave me a shard of coconut husk to use as a spoon.

Tired but happy.

6 comments:

  1. Judah says: "Should I come visit?" I think you had him at smashed scorpions. He also liked the retro-preaching sound car.

    Mom says: "Iiinaa . . . It looks fun . . . the food looks good . . . it fits Rachel . . . Rachel's paradise. "

    Dad says: "Can we play Bible Pictionary when I come?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judah's coming! I haven't seen any scorpions since in the apartment, but we'll find some to smash.

      Mom is right... the food is good and it's my paradise.

      And yes we will play Bible Pictionary.

      Delete
  2. Awsome story! In the preaching work their are no coincidences, it's all Jehovah :) and o my gosh watd u do to that poor scorpion?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor scorpion was put out of his misery of being a scorpion.

      Delete
  3. Did you draw straws over who had to deal with the scorpion? IDK, I think I'd rather be the executioner than the one who had to clean up the remains!
    Great experiences, though... Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I volunteered as executioner... and then left it for Charde to clean up haha

      Delete