As the States burrows further into the stubborn winterness that is January, the only snow I see is on friends' updates of snowboarding adventures back home... finding myself laying under a fan in shorts and a tank top on New Years' Day was a very displacing experience. Time has flown, visitors are coming and going, and soon I'll decide whether to join English or Spanish here and finally settle into a more consistent routine. In the meantime, I have two guests, a temporary roommate, and friends in both congregations encouraging me to join their hall. This week I attended the Spanish midweek meeting and it was a lot of fun as well as a good refresher since I hadn't used theocratic Spanish in a while.
Elizabeth is here! On January 1 we preached in Nicoya with Shandi and Eva. All the shops were closed and the town was eerily empty with only cops walking around, so everyone stopped service early and went home.
"Oh this bridge is totally solid."
Zigzag plants.
The roomies doing their grocery shopping.
The apartment. Judah and Sam moved in upstairs and I put up my hammock...between having nice neighbors and a comfortable place to read books, home is feeling much more comfortable.
The drive to Monte Verde. Elizabeth, Judah and I are spending the weekend in Monte Verde and La Fortuna.
Rolling hills and cool breezes were a nice change from sweltering heat every day.
Our average speed on these roads: 20mph. It takes a long time to get anywhere.
Oh hi pooch.
Sort of reminiscent of Ireland.
Ziplining!
We all overcame our fears...
Even Elizabeth who doesn't like heights.
In addition to the regular zipline, we did the Superman line. They attach the ropes to your back and feet and you fly over the forest for 1km.
She was super happy we decided to do it.
And I think Judah had fun too.
We also did the Tarzan swing... they push you off the platform and then you swing out over the trees.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
And then they catch you with some inner tubes.
We lived!
"No, no, no, no, why am I doing this? No, no, no, nAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Still alive!
It's (relatively) cold and rainy in the mountains.
White Winter Hymnal is a song by Fleet Foxes
Great pictures! Seeing the grocery store, the informal bridge, and the outside of your apartment building help us imagine more clearly what your life is like there.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of driving 20 miles per hour. The rest of the world is in far too big a hurry. The world-heritage destination was awesome too. You are now officially super-pioneers.