Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Walking In The Sun

I never seem to arrive slowly in cities. One day I suddenly find myself in them, and from time to time, I suddenly find myself in a completely new city which is even more exhilarating.

Megan, Amber and I went up to Granada for the morning.

It's very colorful and much more design-conscious.

Amber led us to a nice little café for breakfast. Many of the buildings have courtyards, so each place contains a surprise when you walk in.

Happy girls!

Walking around Granada in search of leather goods shops.

I'm sure there's an interesting story to go with this. I'd like to return sometime and take a tour around the city.

It's a quirky juxtaposition of colonial monuments, bright paint, horse-drawn carts and carriages, and modern SUVs and T-shirts.

Horse-drawn carts are still a popular mode of transportation.

Lots of interesting doors

This hip record shop would have been right at home in Seattle.

Most shops were closed in the morning due to its being a holiday. When we were leaving around noon, people started coming out and the loud, expected bustling began.



Inside the Hotel Granada. We stopped in for a water and bathroom break.

Carriage after carriage was lined up next to the park, drawn by festive-looking depressed horses.


At noon, the park was teeming with people and vendors.


On the way back, we stopped at a lake in what used to be a crater.

This lady is the only person in the whole area that sells the woven-top stools that Megan wanted.

Mud walls

One last night out with Dio; we went to the fanciest restaurant in town called El Colibri, which was still at least half the price of a similar meal in Costa Rica.

The local cinema.

The sunglass/drug vendors walk all around San Juan hawking their goods.

Walking In The Sun is a song by Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment